Thursday, 8 May 2014

365 DAYS OF HANDWRITING, NEW WORK AND COURSES

It appears as though spring has finally come to our part of the world.  The grass is a beautiful, fresh green and the trees are starting to get buds on them.  Soon the leaves will be popping.  The geese are filling the skies and heading to their summer haunts.  A little starling sits on my balcony railing and sings its spring song while holding pieces of grass for its nest, in its yellow, pointed beak. Great motivation to build and make new things.

PROGRESS ON THE PROJECT: 365 DAYS OF HANDWRITING

The project is going well and contributors have been very generous with their samples.  I now have eleven weeks of books.  Still a long way to go, but I’m sure I’ll get there – only 41 more weeks to go.  I am submitting a proposal, to a gallery in Ottawa, to have the collection exhibited in 2015.  A new video showing the first nine books can be viewed at: http://youtu.be/Fgfs2yP_EAY

 I made this box to take to spring markets and book fairs.  It holds blank handwriting sample pages.  If someone wants to participate in the project, they can fill one out on the spot.

The top has a sea shell with a pearl in the end.  It makes a nice decoration as well as a functional handle. 

WEEK 6

 When the transition from scrolls to books was taking place, books were made of wooden slats and stitched together.  This book is designed after that fashion.  I used book board and stitched each panel together. 

I used different papers on each panel and tried to match them to the sample of handwrting. 

Contributors

Pauline Lamont-Fisher, Hereford, UK , www.burntbarn.co.uk
Virginia Mohlere - Houston, TX, www.virginiamohlere.com
Susan Kapuscinski-Gaylord, Newbury Port, Massachusettes, www.susangaylord.com
Stephanie VanBraun, Boston, MA
Trina L. Drotar, Sacramento, CA, www.trinaldrotar.blogspot.com
Constance Woo, New York, NY
Monique (Momo) - Oakland, CA, www.momopaperarts,com

WEEK 7 


I decorated the paper for each panel in this Jacob's Ladder book. 
I used Lokta paper to join each panel and then wrote 365 Days of Handwriting across it.
 
 This is the back of the book and you can see the writing across the joiners.


Each panel has a handwriting sample on it.  This was an enjoyable book to make

CONTRIBUTORS

Rebecca Kohn, Mountainview, CA, www.bookcharmer.blogspot.com
Liz Menard, Toronto, ON, www.lizmenard.ca
Erin Schmidt, Rochester Hills, MI, erinkschmidt.tumblr.com
Susan Bothron, Guilford, VT, www.otterpondbindery.com
Kayla Quinn, Boston, MA
Clare Brebner, Ottawa, ON
Val Laalo, Ottawa, ON


WEEK 8

One of my students is a momorabilia collector and he very generiously donated these antique postcards to the project.  One of the cards is postmarked 1908. 

CONTRIBUTOR

Leslie Cassidy, Ottawa, ON

WEEK 9


For week 9 I decided on a flutter book.  I used a heavy parchment paper which was perfect for this book.  It holds the folds beautifully and has a semi-transparent effect which adds to the viewing of this book. 

There are some very interesting samples of handwriting in this book.  Always a great mix.

CONTRIBUTORS

Karen Massey, Ottawa, ON
Karen MacKay, Ottawa, ON, www.karenwynnemackay.com
Catherine Gray, Ottawa, ON
Isaac Wood, Boston, MA
Lynne Owens, Cortaro, AZ
Camille Lechasseur, Ottawa, ON
Cristiane Doherty, Ottawa, ON

WEEK 10

This is week 10 of the project.  It is a flag book and I used 9 handwriting samples in this book.  I hand cut a design out of my hand marbled paper to decorate the front and back covers of this book.

CONTRIBUTORS

Jim Clarke, Ashville, NC
Petra Löseke, Rûthen, Germany
Sue Whalen, Ottawa, Ontario
Nina Camilleri, Ottawa, Ontario, www.zehnplusstudio.com
Lee Kirk, Eugene Oregon, www.kirksbooks.com
Lin C. Parker, "Signal Mountain, TN
Ellen Simak, Chattanooga, TN
Mardi Weltman, Ottawa, Ontario
Catherine Hajnal, Vancouver, British Columbia, www.lifefundamentals.com

WEEK 11


This is week eleven of the project.  I created a staircase and covered it with hand marbled paper. 

CONTRIBUTORS

Lauren Mullin, Ottawa, Ontario
Maria V. Calderon-Weinstein, Rockland County, New York
Meaghan Haughian, Ottawa, Ontario
Nessa McCasey, Grand Rapids, MI, www.wildridgewriters.com, www.iapoetry.org
Rob Thomas, Ottawa, Ontario, www.robthomas.ca1store
Rachael Bedlington, Ottawa, Ontario
Patricia Madge, Ottawa, Ontario


WEEK 12


I have been making volvelles for a fall exhibit, so of course, I just had to make one of the books in this project into a volvelle.  The center spins and lands on the name of a contributor.  Once the name has been exposed the individual can look for the corresponding name and pull the sample to read.  This was a challenging book to make, but great fun. 




CONTRIBUTORS
Jared Massanari, Ashville, NC, www.redknibbles.com

Susan Rachlis Fisher, Ottawa, ON 
Jeanne M. Raffesberger, Fridley,MN
Donna Eyering, Phoenix, AZ 
Marie Kelzer, Marina Del Rey, CA, www.mariekelzerdesigns.com 
M. Lorena Garwood, Honolulu, Hawaii, www.bijoux-me.blogspot.com 
Wanda Garwood, Olathe, Kansas, In memory (deceased December 2013) 

NEW WORK

Single Signature Bradel Binding

I saw this book discussed on the book arts website and decided to give it a try.  I enjoyed making it so much that I continued to make more.  I had to stop myself from making more and more :>)).  Great fun and I am offering it in my Book Arts course this fall.  


I covered these books with my hand marbled paper and book cloth.

Hand Marbled Paper

I have wanted to learn traditional paper marbling.  I started out learning Suminagashi, which I find very meditative.  This fall I had the opportunity to purchase the supplies to do traditional marbling.  Well I finally have pulled all the needed accessories together and started teaching myself the technique.  To say my kitchen walls are now polka dotted along with my feet and stove – all cleaned up.  I now use a drop sheet as this process can be quite messy, but the end result is beautiful.  I really like playing with the designs, so you’ll see some of my play in the following pictures.





I find the most challenging part of marbling is choosing the right colours.  The more I create, the better idea I have of what colours work best together.

Boxes

I get a great deal of pleasure from making boxes.  There are so many uses for them and I find creativity has very few limits when it comes to designing them.  I have been thinking about stacking boxes for a long time and finally made a couple.  This was challenging and I learned a lot about making them.  The next bunch will be much better.

I call this one the Butterfly box.  I found this polished slice of agate and it looked like a butterfly wing.  I knew exactly how I wanted to use it.


I lined the inside bottom of this box with red suede leather.  It is a nice contrast to the green Lokta paper.




I used my marbled paper to cover these stacking boxes.  The feet are wooden beads that I get at a local bead store.  I like the mixture of colour in them.  They go nicely with the marbled paper. 

Spring Market and ‘Book Fair

I have been accepted for the spring market celebrating the Shenkman Arts Centre’s 5th year anniversary.  It is May 31 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at the Shenkman Arts Centre, 245 Centrum Boulevard.  Come and celebrate and see what the local artisans have to offer. 

Ottawa Small Press Book Fair

It’s that time of year again for the Ottawa Small Press Book Fair:  June 7 from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm at the Jack Purcell Community Centre, 320 Jack Purcell Lane (off of Elgin Street), room 203. 


COURSES

Paper Papier

I have been invited by the owners of Paper Papier, a stationery and gift shop in the market, to teach book arts workshops in their store.  The first workshop will be held this Wednesday evening from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.  We will be making a soft cover, single signature book with the corn cob binding. 

Ottawa School of Art

Most of the summer courses are open for registration.  The Printmaking, Letterpress, Bookbinding course registration will be open in a couple of weeks.  This is a fun-filled week of learning.  I will be teaching the Book Arts courses again this summer and this year I have added an intermediate level course.  These evening summer courses run two nights a week for four weeks.  Here is the line-up for the summer.

ORLEANS CAMPUS
DATE & TIME
COURSE
CODE
PRICE
July 8 – 31, 2014 Tuesday/Thursday, 6 -9:00 pm

Introductory Book Arts

S14SOO40A

$215
August 5 – 28, 2014
Tuesday/Thursday, 6–9:00 pm

Intermediate Book Arts

S14SO40B

$215
BYWARD MARKET CAMPUS
July 2 – 28, 2014
Monday/Wednesday, 6 – 9 pm

Intermediate Book Arts

S14DO40

    $200 
August 6– 27, 2014
Monday/Wednesday, 6-9 pm

Introductory Book Arts

S14D041

$190
ONE WEEK COURSE
July 7 – 11, 2014
Monday – Friday
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Printmaking, Letter Press, Book Binding
Instructors:  Mary Kritz/Guillermo Trejo

S14DAA1

Not available
Aug 18 – 22, 2014
Monday – Friday
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Printmaking, Letter Press, Book Binding
Instructors: Mary Kritz/Guillermo Trejo 

S14DAA7

Not available


Registration for the courses are:

Byward Market Campus:  by phone: 613-241-7471; by e-mail: info@artottawa.ca.

Orleans Campus:  by phone: 613-580-2765; by e-mail: osao.info@artottawa.ca


That’s about all the news for now.  Have a marvelous spring. 

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at: bbinder999@gmail.com

Mary  




No comments:

Post a Comment